UPDATE: Ukraine will close its borders to all tourists and visitors as of August 29th
Ukraine officially reopened its borders for tourism as of June 15, 2020. However, not all countries are welcome at the moment. Ukraine has categorized certain countries as green zones and some are red zones.
Who Can Enter Ukraine?
Firstly, the Green Zone countries are defined by having less than 40 active cases per 100,000 population. And all tourists coming from the green zone country do not need quarantine.
Green Zone countries:
Secondly, countries from the Red Zone category are defined by having more than 55 cases per 100,000 population. That is to say, all tourists coming from the red zone may still be permitted. But needs to undergo quarantine for 14-days and take a PCR test at an authorized laboratory.
Red Zone Countries:
The Ministry of Health of Ukraine is to expected update the number of active cases of COVID-19 per 100,000 population in other countries every three days. You can also review a copy of the list above here.
Is There A Mandatory Test and/or Quarantine?
If a traveler from a red zone country does not want to quarantine for 14-days, they can also take a PCR test.
Here’s the process for that:
- Firstly, the traveler should download “Dii Vdoma” mobile app with a Ukrainian SIM card.
- In the first 24 hours in Ukraine perform a PCR test in an authorized laboratory/clinic approved by the government.
- After taking test the traveler must self isolate for 24-48 hours until the results.
- The authorized lab will then forward results to the health ministry.
- The health ministry will upload results to the Dii Vdoma app to the account that matches the traveler (by phone number) and the app will say if the traveler can stop isolation, or if they tested positive and have to complete 14 days of isolation.
However, as of August 1, 2020, travelers coming from a red zone country can be free from self-isolation in Ukraine in case he/she has a negative test result for Covid-19 by PCR, which was passed no later than 48 hours before crossing the Ukrainian border.
To clarify as well, Citizens and Nationals of the “red zone” countries do not need to undergo quarantine if they physically arrive from the “green zone” countries and are able to prove they have physically been in the “green zone” area for the last 14 days.
Other Entry Requirements for Ukraine
- All tourists, whether on the red or green zone lists, must show proof of health insurance that covers COVID-19 in order to be granted entry into Ukraine.
- All tourists may be subject to health screening and or thermal scans upon arrival in Ukraine.
- Tourists should wear masks at all times in/on: public transit, stores, gas stations, banks, pharmacies, etc.
What’s Open in Ukraine?
- Hotels and other accommodations
- Restaurants and cafes
- Museums, nature reserves
- Dental clinics
- Beauty salons and hairdressing salons
- Domestic services
- Parks, squares, recreation areas, beaches;
- Children’s and sports grounds in the street.
- All public transportations
You may also want to check Ukraine‘s detailed restriction/reopening information on our live map.